In the latest studio project at IARc, our group is taking a look at the growing trend of co-working environments. The project will culminate in the design of a 15,000 square ft co-working space that houses up to 60 employees and transitions into retail + event space in the evenings.
- Co-working is a style of work that involves a shared working environment.
- Unlike in a typical office environment, those co-working are usually not employed by the same organization.
- Although those who co-work sometimes are in different professions, they often share a common set of values
- "Co-working" first coined in 2006
- Started in Silicon Valley with start-up companies to get their feet off the ground until they can afford a permanent space.
- Follows trend of flexible work schedules.
- "Hot Desk" - employees using the same desk at different times of day - not a personal desk.
- Pop-up Approach - makes use of spaces empty during the day and turn them into co-working offices
- More than 1 million people will work in co-working spaces in the US in 2017
- 3.8 million people will work in co-working spaces in worldwide in 2017
- proportion of US co-working members rising from 23%-37% (2016)
- 27% of co-workers are in IT
- Will comprise 2% of the office market in US by 2020
- Compounded annual growth rate of 23.8%
- The number of global co-working spaces will grow from a bit over 11,000 this year to just over 26,000 in 2020
Who is it for?
- Young creatives/Millenials
- Work-at-home professionals, Independent Contractors, or people who travel frequently
- Helpful for freelancers and entrepreneurs struggling to find a good work space within their budget.
Benefits of Co-working
- Independent contractors working together in a shared environment are able to pool resources
- Bigger corporations cut overhead by having workers
- Cuts commuting times
- Suburban co-working has become more popular
- Increased interdisciplinary sharing
- Helps stop silo mentality in workplace
- Interaction across disciplines
Examples of Co-working Environments
We Work - Manhattan, NY